Meeting for Business Minutes - March 2020

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Friends Meeting of Washington

Minutes:  Monthly Meeting for Worship with a Concern for Business
March 8, 2020

Query for Worship Sharing: How could the choices I am making in my life affect those who have been harmed by systemic, institutional, interpersonal and/or internal racism?

Anti-Racist Queries:  These queries are a tool to help us become aware of the racism that is built into our culture and our Meeting, and work to heal it.

1. How will we provide opportunities for those most likely to be directly affected by the choices we are contemplating to influence the decision making process?   

2. How could the choices we are contemplating affect those who have been harmed by systemic, institutional, interpersonal and/or internal racism?

3. To what degree have privilege, class, stereotypes, assumptions, and our ability to include other perspectives affected this decision making process?

4. How will the choices we are contemplating promote equity, diversity, and inclusiveness? Will they enable us to be more friendly and whole, engaging across racial divisions?

5. How do the choices we are contemplating support the declaration of our Yearly Meeting that we aspire to be an anti-racist faith community?

Clerk’s Report, March 2020

Upcoming Events

  • Sunday, March 15, there will be a clerking workshop for once and future clerks, held in Quaker House Living Room and given by fabulous BYM Interim Clerk Marcy Seitel. All are welcome
  • Also on Sunday, March 15, School for Friends is feeding us lunch! Yay!
  • Sunday, March 22, anyone concerned about affordable housing in DC is very welcome to come to a candidates’ forum, to be held at Metropolitan AME Church, 1518 M St. NW, starting at 2:00 pm. Please let Elaine Wilson know if you plan to attend. All FMWers who plan to attend are welcome to attend a lunch at FMW that day, where we’ll discuss the issues and brainstorm possible questions to put to the candidates for the Ward 2 DC Council member.

FMW Community Highlights & Kudos

  • The Hearing Improvement Equipment that we decided to invest in at January’s Business Meeting has been ordered.  With luck, installation will be completed in May!
  • FMW member Katie Breslin is now half way through her second semester at Earlham School of Religion in Richmond, Indiana. She has been accepted as a sojourner at West Richmond Friends Meeting.  Her letter is on the bulletin board. 

Major Business

Coronavirus - Discussion of potential response

  • How do we best support each other if the virus spreads to the community?
  • How do we each prayerfully consider whether we should be physically present in the room during FMW meetings?
  • What other options are in place for us to use if such physical presence is deemed unwise?
  • How can FMW help our neighbors? 
  • How do we combat misinformation?
  • Should we ever consider closing the Meetinghouse, and if so, what criteria should be used to make that decision?

Personnel Committee Policies

  • Personnel encourages all FMW employees who are manifesting flu-like symptoms to stay home. Event hosts and nursery care workers should notify their supervisor or relevant committee clerks in advance if at all possible.
  • If the FMW office is closed, employees half time or more will continue to receive full pay and benefits as is currently the case when the offices are closed for weather events.
  • ‚ÄčOur employees half-time or more who are either mandatorily quarantined or self-quarantined (due to either their possible illness or concern about transmission to a vulnerable family member) will continue to receive full pay and benefits and will have charges against their sick leave accrual for the duration of the quarantine. Such employees are asked to telecommute as much as possible.

A friend offered detailed statistics on COVID19 and a blessing for the elder and more physically vulnerable members of our community. Personnel committee shared policies for COVID-19. A friend asked about pay policy for employees who are less than half time. Personnel committee responded that employees who are less than half time are typically here occasionally and will not be paid for time missed. Santizer is currently located in the meeting room and more is on order. 

A friend made a case for closing a Meeting, comparing social exposure to littering, where one instance of littering doesn’t have a large effect but we should still do our part. Another friend shared that the Meeting is an important spiritual home and that other steps, such as abbreviating committee meetings and fellowship, should be taken to maintain Meeting for Worship. A Friend asked for a call from a larger spiritual or governmental body before closing. Another friend suggested separating groups, such as parents of young children, to limit the spread of illness. A friend suggested that older community members stay home from meeting. Another friend shared that messaging around a potential meeting closure should clearly communicate our reasoning to limit fear and steps for reopening, and that our priority should be to spread information. Another friend recommended following CDC guidelines. Friends mentioned electronic Meetings for Worship. A decision to close the Meetinghouse would not be made lightly. 

Friends mentioned the need for emergency contacts, as well as locations of community members in the case of smaller meetings. Personal Aid Committee spoke to the need for volunteers to help provide groceries or drivers if need arises. A friend said that phone trees could be more helpful than physical visits. IT Committee said that lists of community members could be made by location. 

Drivers who volunteered during Business Meeting:  
Debby Churchman, Barbara Briggs, Elaine Wilson, Beth Cogswell, Dan Dozier, Elise Stork, Jean Capps, Joe Izzo, Megan Telfair - coordinating families, Michael Beer, Amanda Mayer

Spiritual State of the Meeting, first presentation - Marsha Holliday

  • Marsha Holliday shared that the Meeting has new light within our renovated Meetinghouse. Our meeting is uniquely able to minister to many visitors both locally and from around the world.

  • Friends thanked the Ministry and Worship Committee for the work on the report. A friend asked about additional discussion about worship to be integrated into the report. Marsha responded that Baltimore Yearly Meeting only asked a few of the questions and thought that a limited version of the report should be sent. Sabrina McCartney worked to develop the survey used. Another friend suggested sharing the entire report to show other meetings what Friends Meeting of Washington asked ourselves.  

Library Committee - Gene Throwe

  • Annual Report (see below)

  • Gene Throwe shared the progress Library Committee has made since the conclusion of construction. 156 books were added to the collection, and the Library Committee is open to suggestions. The book sales will continue once a month to raise funds for additional materials. 

  • A friend asked about sharing between different libraries. Gene responded that other libraries can ask for books but that it has not happened yet. 

  • The report was approved. 

Membership - Beth Cogswell presented the following:

  • Bill Parker, second presentation
  • Jessica Wolfley, second presentation
  • Earl Eutsler, second presentation
  • Kaelyn and Noah Wolfley, for Associate Membership

All were approved. 

Beth gave the first presentation for Chris Kearns-McCoy, sharing a portion of his letter. Friends shared Chris’s meaningful involvement in the meeting. Another friend asked about Chris’s committee membership, and he responded that he is looking forward to working with Peace and Social Concerns and possibly Personnel.

Nominating -  Martha Solt

* Marsha Holliday, Simpson Scholarship Committee. 

Approved.

* Request to fold the duties of Records & Handbook into the Library Committee, to be called Library & Records. 

Clerks of each committee shared that they discussed and approved the merger. Friends approved combining the committees. 

Gerry Fitzgerald discussed pledges to the Peace and Social Concerns budget. Beth Cogswell will assist. Another friend mentioned a successful threshing session on Clearness Committees.

Meeting for Worship with the Purpose of Business closed at 1:24pm.

#####

ADDENDA: ATTACHED REPORTS

FMW Event Rental Report

Prepared by Brian Lutenegger, Event and Rental Manager
eventspace@quakersdc.org or 202-483-3310

February 2020 - Financials

Here is a breakdown of how we’ve fared so far in FY20 (through February 29, 2020) in terms of booked events for the current fiscal year:

 

FMW Event Space Bookings

Fiscal Year

2017

2018

2019

2020

Before FY Start

$25,511

$24,648

$11,098

$15,964

July

$5,791

$9,592

$3,302

$4,405

August

$5,833

$14,764

$3,623

$16,228

September

$8,095

$8,528

$2,543

$23,296

October

$13,826

$9,582

$3,686

$20,319

November

$7,160

$4,281

$3,394

$6,147

December

$5,635

$7,621

$5,363

$6,649

January

$29,877

$9,714

($50)

$15,098

February

$10,166

$8,764

$4,376

$8,147

YTD Total

$111,893

$97,494

$37,335

$116,252

Year End Total

$130,777

$115,600

$41,749

$0

Our fiscal year runs from July 1 to the following June 30th.

As of the end of February, we remain ahead of previous fiscal years in terms of events booked. As shown above, we booked just over $8,000 worth of events in January.

The difference between booked event revenue and earned event revenue remains far greater at this point in the fiscal year than it has been in the past two years (though not FY17 due to a large summer event that had booked by this point in the fiscal year). As of the end of February, you will note above that we had booked just over $116,000 worth of events. At the same time, we had earned $85,490 from event rentals so far this fiscal year, a difference of more than $30,000. This means we still have many events yet to come.

From an accounting standpoint, we earn the income only after the event is successfully completed—even if we already have the customer’s payment on hand. With many events already booked, the remainder of FY20 continues to look busy.

Bookings for FY21

We have $3,654 worth of events for FY21 already booked. But, we appear to actually be in very good shape. I anticipate two conferences to book this week worth $11,500 and we also expect Bet Mishpachah to return. I will be having coffee with their president later this week and I expect to submit a formal proposal soon after. Based on their contract last year, we anticipate another $5000 worth of rentals from them unless their footprint changes. I also have some proposals out – and I anticipate moving forward with at least 1-2 of them. If all of this works out, we are closer to $20,000 in rentals for FY21 to date.

Nonprofit versus market rates

Of the $116,251 booked so far this fiscal year, $19,232 worth of rentals has been at our full market rates (approximately 16.5 percent,  a slight increase from last month’s 15.7 percent). The remainder of the booked events have received some type of discount:

a)      A discounted nonprofit or tenant rate

b)      A lower rate due to construction

c)       Memorial service and weddings under the care of the meeting where we do not charge for space for the service itself – only for the cost of the event host

d)      Some other factor

Our standard nonprofit discount is 20 percent off our market rates.

Thus far, we have been able to accommodate all requests for Meeting- and Quaker-related activities at FMW around outside space rentals. We are making every effort to accommodate Sunday afternoon and evening rentals, while ensuring that all of our internal activities on Sunday mornings are unimpeded by outside events. There will be a few upcoming events on Sundays when the space user will arrive at 1pm and we appreciate the help of hospitality and others to make sure our spaces are ready. If we find that this does not work, we will adjust for future events.

Marketing Efforts

I am continuing to add content to our new Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/fmw.event.venue/) specifically for event rentals. I will soon be creating an Instagram page, which I am told is a useful tool for online marketing.

I anticipate we will be discontinuing our Yelp advertising, although we will keep some aspects of the enhanced profile. This tool has not proven to be helpful in increasing rentals at least in terms of direct inquiries through the site. It is more difficult to measure Yelp’s impact on traffic to our website, phone calls, and emails – which it very well may have increased.

Wedding Open House at FMW

We are planning a wedding event at FMW on Saturday 3/14 from 1-4pm to show our spaces to prospective couples and have them meet some of our partner vendors. If anyone is interested in helping to plan or execute this event, please be in touch with me.

Coronavirus Impacts on Rentals

Shortly before I wrote this, I received word that one of our frequent space users has canceled an international conference focused on the Middle East that was to be held at FMW later in March. While they hope to reschedule the conference later this year, it is off our calendar for now. I did receive another cancellation today, but it is not clear whether that is the result of potential Coronavirus impacts on their operations (a federal government agency).

It remains to be seen in the coming days and weeks whether our rentals are significantly impacted by this public health issue both in terms of cancellations and reduced bookings. We’ll handle cancellations and any refunds on a case by case basis. As always, we’ll follow the federal government’s lead in the event of any unanticipated need to close FMW due to the Coronavirus.

Interesting Space Users

We enjoyed having Opera Lafayette with us rehearsing their production of Beethoven’s Leonore. The cooperation of Friends in leaving their floor markings in the Assembly Room undisturbed was appreciated. Everyone appreciated having the music around throughout the day. Several FMW members purchased tickets to the production’s single performance at the Kennedy Center. It is now in New York City for its single performance there this week.

We also hosted a number of staff meetings, retreats, and workshops for various nonprofit groups.

As was the case with several of these, when events are open to the public and of potential interest to FMW’s community, I plan to send out an announcement to our listservs. FMW members and attenders may choose to attend these events if they wish, making sure to RSVP or buy tickets as requested. These emails also make clear that the events are not sponsored or endorsed by FMW.

Other Activities

During a preplanned trip to Philadelphia last month, I met with my counterpart at the Friends Center there to discuss their policies and procedures around event rentals. Although I had seen their spaces before, it was helpful to walk through with her. While the meeting gave me some new ideas, I also came away feeling that we are on the right track in many ways.

#######

STATE OF THE MEETING REPORT
FRIENDS MEETING OF WASHINGTON, WASHINGTON, DC
2020

There is now a deep sense of peace, new light, openness, and physical beauty at Friends Meeting of Washington.  Our renovations and environmental upgrades, nearly completed, improved our campus more than many of us could have imagined.  Our physical improvements impact our sense of who we are as a meeting and what we can be for our members and attenders and for our community and neighbors now and in the future. 

We began our renovations with two physical needs: we needed an elevator, and we needed to manage rain-water run-off.  Taking on the financial responsibilities associated with our renovations, we have better met our needs as a community, providing access to most spaces and protecting the ecology of our neighborhood. 

We started planning for and working on this renovation project 18 years ago.  We now have a $3.5 million mortgage, which we think and believe that we can pay off over time.  We recognize that the challenges and opportunities of our renovations have brought a considerable financial burden to our Meeting going forward.  Beyond taking on the financial responsibility of making mortgage payments, we have also taken on the opportunity of ministering to the larger community in our role as a hosting space. While maintaining our focus on the spiritual health of our Meeting, we are discovering new opportunities for ministry that we could not have imagined previously.

We have connected together all of our buildings, improved some of our spaces, added some new space, and installed extensive fire sprinkler and alarm systems.  Except for our attic rooms, which have a view of our new green roof on one side and our new rainwater retention pond on the other, we have made almost all our spaces wheelchair-accessible, including most of our west garden.  With solar panels on the roof of our meetinghouse, we are providing green energy, and saving about $13,000 a year on electricity costs.  Still to come: landscaping of the new terraces, a revised Assembly Room floor, and a hearing assistance system in our meeting room.

Our first obligation, in our newly renovated meetinghouse, is to nurture our individual and collective spiritual lives.  Our second obligation is to be an events and conference center for Quakers and our wider world.  As a spiritual community, we are growing into an awareness of how to manage and merge these two responsibilities.  This is about our ministry.  We want to share our campus, which is becoming a spiritual center for others, as well as for ourselves.  We are at a cross roads in redefining ourselves, and we find this to be an exciting time. 

We recognize that, as a Meeting, we have additional demands, challenges, and opportunities because of where we are located in downtown Washington, DC.  Being in the Nation’s Capital provides us with considerable diversity, both in local, national, and international politics and also in theologies; and so, we work intentionally to stay open to the Light. 

Visitors to our various meetings for worship include college and university students, members and staff of Congress, lobbyists, government workers, internists, Friends who have recently settled into Washington, DC, tourists, and visitors to the city.  Consequently, in addition to the pastoral care of our members and attenders, we also have a ministry of hospitality, providing a spiritual home for those who are here temporarily.  Like FCNL and the William Penn House, we minister to those who are attempting to impact the Federal Government concerning the testimonies and values of Friends.  All the while, we are addressing the queries on structural racism that Baltimore Yearly Meeting has requested and that our Meeting has approved.

On Sunday mornings, we have meetings for worship at 9:00 a.m. in the Quaker House Living Room and at 10:30 a.m. in our Library or in the Quaker House Living Room and in the main meeting room.  At 6:00 p.m. on First Day evenings and on Third Day evenings, we meet in the Library. Children have First Day School on First Day mornings from 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 and join the main meeting room at 11:15 a.m. 

With around 35 or more children participating in First Day School, our children’s program is thriving.  For safety, parents deliver their children to their classes at 10:30 a.m.  The children enter our main meeting room for the last 15 minutes and sit with their parents. The first thing we do at rise of meeting is to ask our children to report on what they did in First Day School.  It is inspiring to hear our children’s voices in meeting for worship.

Our Pastoral Care Working Group, a subcommittee of the Ministry and Worship Committee, is preparing a series of workshops for 2020.  We recognize that, as lay ministers, we need to continually grow and train ourselves in the ministry of pastoral care.  We are supporting a series on deepening our listening skills and a series on clerking, and the Ministry and Worship Committee has also spawned a Working Group on Clearness Committees.  

We now meet for business in our more intimate Quaker House Living Room.  We hear each other better in this smaller space and manage space usage more efficiently with our new arrangement.  Young Adult Friends are taking more leadership roles on Committees and in our meetings for business. Their involvement is injecting new life, as well. 

To accommodate our visitors, we have both a Greeters and a Welcomers program under the care of the FMW Ministry and Worship Committee.  We want all worshipers to be greeted before meeting, and we want Welcoming Friends to explain Quakerism, as best we can, to newcomers and to ourselves after meeting.  We typically have a congregation of about 150 people on First Day mornings, and we often have 10 to 25 visitors or more at meeting.  Our meetings for worship are often deep, usually comforting, and, sometimes, amazingly gathered.  A summary of the results of our survey on the Spiritual State of our Meeting is attached as an appendix.   

We think and believe and experience that all is well at Friends Meeting of Washington and that we are growing and walking in the Light, despite our many challenges and despite what sometimes seems like darkness in our Nation’s Capital, in our country, and in our world.

Spiritual State of Our Meeting Questionnaire: Summary of Responses

  1. Do we nurture healthy vocal ministry? How do we nurture ministries of other kinds and affirm one another’s gifts? How can we improve the way in which we recognize and speak to one another’s gifts?

Summary - To nurture healthy vocal ministry, Friends suggest that: 

  • The Head of Meeting remind Friends “to seek that still small voice within and be guided by Spirit when to offer vocal ministry”

  • We listen carefully to each other and encourage and respond to those who offer vocal ministry

  • We encourage Friends who speak infrequently to give vocal ministry

  • We thank Friends who give a message for the first time

  • We develop a relationship with a Friend who speaks too often or from a place not guided by Spirit, to find where the vocal ministry is coming from and to help each other grow in Spirit

  • We have “awareness of the ways others actually live in our city” and “invent…ways for us to mix with the wider community” so that friends who “see our community as one for the wealthy” will not “assume they are not welcome”

 -    One Friend recognizes that often the same people give messages and wondered how to encourage wider participation.  One Friend questions whether we want more vocal ministry.  Some Friends who regularly attend one of our smaller meetings for worship love worship without vocal ministry.

  -    To nurture other ministries, one Friend suggests that we focus on kindness, generosity and thoughtfulness and tell children stories about these qualities.

2.  What paralyzes us or prevents us from answering our call? What fears do we experience? Which fears drive us and which fears create obstacles?

Summary

Two Friends suggest that time prevents us from answering our call, and two Friends suggest that our fear of making ourselves vulnerable does so.  A Friend suggests that competing demands, and worry that we are not as informed as we should be, prevent us from answering our call.  Another Friend observes that we are paralyzed by our own indifference and uncertainties.  One Friend thinks that we are afraid to give up a comfortable routine, to stand out in a group.  A Friend reports a fear of expressing personal, spiritual or political views that may be contrary to those of most Friends.  A Friend remarks that E.M. Forster’s novel, Howard’s End, “is a marvelous teacher of how such things work in a society like ours.” 

A Friend notes that defining our fears helps us realize how insignificant they can be.  The Friend further notes that hidden fears require attention and acceptance.

A Friend suggests that “we need to figure out how to make people feel safe enough to make themselves vulnerable in community.”  One Friend opines that “stillness among kindly people” may be helping us and offered the example of the spiritual journey program.  Another Friend suggests that the Peace & Social Concerns Committee “get the word out” that support is available to Friends with a leading.

3.  Do we have the courage to create space for our human fallibility and vulnerability? In what do we find that kind of courage?

 Summary

A Friend observes that we find the courage to create space for human fallibility and vulnerability by acknowledging that “all of us, despite our limitations and fallibilities, have that Divine seed within that can be called forth by love and compassion of others.”  One Friend advocates self-compassion, self-forgiveness and self-kindness.  Two Friends suggest learning about those who have gone before us in making themselves vulnerable – “good models for leaders.”  A Friend suggests listening to Friends who are struggling to do what we are afraid to do.  Another Friend recommends “giving Grace to those struggling.”  The Friend sees our new emphasis on clearness committees as a positive step.  The Friend counsels patience.  A Friend observes that organizing non-hierarchically encourages everyone “to rise to their best selves.”

4.  What do you want/need/seek in a spiritual community? 

 Summary - Friends want:

  • Support for personal leadings
  • A community of “people of all ages, doing all kinds of work in their lives, from a wide variety of backgrounds who are willing to share their insights and their seeking”
  • A community that supports, challenges and nurtures personal and spiritual growth “so that ego is diminished and the Divine Light is more fully apparent”
  • A community of like-minded people
  • A community built on Jesus Christ
  • To communicate with God and build a relationship with God
  • Connection, common values and hopes for humanity, kindness, forgiveness, loving generosity, some basis of knowledge, knowing what matters
  • A shared commitment to silence, listening to the still small voice of God
  • Events to share with non-Quakers, such as spouses, like “chatty, drawn out delicious potlucks”
  • A Friend notes the need for an open mind and an understanding that “none are perfect.”
  • A Friend rejoices to have found a spiritual community where “knowing each other in a spiritual way allows us to be true F/friends.”
  • Our smaller meetings for worship generally have regular attenders.  Friends who regularly attend one of these smaller meetings for worship say that they value silence in worship.  Friends who regularly attend another of these smaller meetings for worship express comfort in being able to talk about God and being in a community built on Jesus Christ.

5.    How are you finding those things at FMW? - Summary:

  • Friends generally are finding what they want at FMW. Friends mention:

  • Meditation, community worship, committee service and participation in a spiritual reading discussion group

  • Groups of individuals who share their journeys

  • Keeping eyes and ears open to “bank ideas of value in one’s memory”

  • A Friend comments, “It is so good to be in a group where I don’t have to hide my beliefs -- to share my deepest beliefs.  It allows me to feel comfortable.”

  • Two Friends want us to be more welcoming to newcomers. One Friend suggests “showing our vulnerabilities to model a community that others would want to join.”  Another Friend wants “a wider diversity” and suggests making ourselves “as welcoming as we can” by “listening to each other and speaking to each other, and to those we want to be welcoming to.” 

  • A Friend laments that events to share with non-Quakers, such as spouses, are not available.

6.    What do you wish for that would make FMW a better spiritual community for you?

Summary - Friends wish for:

  • Relaxed get-togethers
  • A spiritual support group for Friends over 65 years of age to discuss aging, illness and end-of-life issues
  • Being more welcoming to newcomers
  • More people joining committees
  • Our Meeting playing a larger role in the interfaith community
  • Daily opportunities for worship
  • Limiting the time for a message to one minute
  • Being able to know more Friends in the big community
  • More in-depth work on our relationship with Spirit
  • Love and forgiveness
  • Striving to be an example of the Peaceable Kingdom

#######

LIBRARY COMMITTEE ANNUAL REPORT
March 2020

What we’ve done this year-For most of 2019, the Library at Friends Meeting of Washington has been in a state of suspended animation during the construction process. During that period, the Library Committee did its best to shelve books and keep the space straightened. As the construction came to a close, the Library gained the Parlor and converted that into the Library office space by setting up the desk and computer in that room along with a smaller desk for the binder to check out books. In conjunction with the Property Committee, the furniture was pared down and reconfigured.

After the construction finished in August, the Library Committee worked to clean up the dust in both rooms and reorganize the shelves in the Parlor. It is worth noting that during the construction, only 2 books were damaged and they were in the Parlor. Those books have since been replaced. The reference section continues to be displayed in the Terrace Room. The committee held at least two work days that they used to process books into the library

How to use the Library-To locate a book in the Library, first find the library website by going to http://quakersdc.org/Library. The books in the Library have been cataloged on http://www.LibraryThing.com.

The FMW Library catalog is viewable at http://www.librarything.com/catalog/FMWLibrary or on mobile devices at http://www.librarything.com/m/ by entering the collection name FMWLibrary.

You can locate books by author, or subject, or title.  To find where the book you want is located, find the call number under the Comments section.  If necessary, ask Library Committee members for help.  If you can't find the book you want on the shelf, check the notebook to see if someone else has it out.

We continue our new system for checkout, using a notebook for signing out.  We trust you to return them, and cross out your entry. Try to return books within three weeks so that others may use them too. 

About the Collection-As of March 1, 2020, the Library held 2423 books in the collection, an increase of 156 volumes since last year. Additions to the collection came partly from donations this year and new books bought by the committee. We will continue to seek suggestions from the community and look for new titles relating to Quakerism to add to the collection. 

Before donating books, please talk to committee members. The Library’s scope for collecting includes Quaker history and biography, spirituality, LGBTQ spirituality, mysticism, social justice, and non-violence.  The Library Committee has resumed the book sales on the fourth Sunday of the month. Proceeds from the book sales help purchase more books and other needed items for the Library. Since resuming the book sales, the library has raised over $300 so far. We would like to buy a nicer periodical rack soon.

The library owns five Kindle paperwhites, which are available to be used by reading groups in the meeting. These Kindles are an early generation but still usable. Ask the librarians about them if you are interested. The Library has also added more links to electronic versions of classic Quaker titles to the Library’s homepage, including John Woolman’s Journal, Robert Barclay’s Apology, and Journal of the Life and Religious Labours of Elias Hicks. We have included a basic introduction to Quakerism website, and a link to another Quaker library which has even more material. If people need assistance downloading these to their own Kindles or other e-book readers, please contact Library Committee members

The Committee Goals-As we plan for 2020, the Library has set some goals. The committee changed its meeting time to the First Sunday at 12 noon. This allows at least one Sunday in which the committee can assist patrons in the Library as we do our work. Please interrupt our committee meetings! We are active in better organizing the collection. The shelf labels need to be updated since the collection has moved around. We also plan to update the signage in the library.

We could always use assistance and actively welcome new members. If you have an interest, please approach one of the committee members.

Members of the Library Committee:
Gene Throwe, Clerk gthrowe@gmail.com
Michael North, Meeting Librarian belgrade18@yahoo
Judy Hubbard  hubbard.judy@gmail.com
Lucy Norman lucystarrnorman@gmail.com
Elizabeth Nyman, R&H Cttee Liaison ejsurbecknyman@gmail.com
Bill Parker wparkercra@gmail.com
Ana Rodriguez anamaria@iadb.org
Frank Weiss frankgreyhound@hotmail.com
Faith Williams (emeritus)
Abby Thomsen (emeritus)
Patrick Lynam (emeritus)